Monday, May 3, 2010

Solitary Heathen

My name is Jack Smith, I am 27, and I am an Asatru Re-constructionist living in Bakersfield, CA. I am married to a wonderful woman who accepts my Heathenry, but she is not a heathen herself, I have a wonderful family and even my wife's family is filled with good people, but none of them are heathens, in my two years of studying Heathenry I have not found another Heathen in my neck of the woods, I have found other pagans, mostly Wiccans, but I am not a Wiccan, I am a Heathen, and while I respect those who follow the Wiccan path, I cannot follow it myself.

In my readings and wanderings, especially on the internet, I have found many discouraging sites where it is said that solitary heathens should not be possible, that it is somehow wrong to be solitary. I disagree with that premise, I think that there are many out there like me, who are solitary and cannot help it, even if a Kindred fell into my lap, I still wouldn't be able to enjoy it fully because my family is not heathen, my wife, as understanding as she is, is still a christian, and won't be apart of any of the rituals that would go on. My best friend, as great a man as he is, is still a devout christian and likewise, would not participate. I guess what I am trying to say, is that a Kindred (asatru community) without my kindred (my close family and friends) would not be a kindred I would think worth my time. So I have come to accept that my kindred has to be my close family and friends, and just because they do not participate in my rituals does not make them any less a kindred. Yes, asatru is a social religion, but in these modern times, I think we have to change what it means to be a social religion, not all of us are lucky enough to have grown up in a community that has more than a small few Heathens.

So, the point of this blog is to expand upon my brand of Solitary Heathenry, so that maybe others, who are in my situation can honor the Gods in there own way, this is not a "this is how I do it and so you must follow everything I say to the 'T', blog" Rather, it is a place where I am hoping to share my experiences and so if you decide to follow and add your own twists, then that is almost encouraged as far as I am concerned.

In the end, I am more making this blog for myself, in that I have no one really to share this with, no one around me would understand, hell, half of my family would probably burn me alive if I told them about my being a heathen and all that it entails. I plan to include in this blog, rituals that I have modified, books I have read, and even hobbies I have taken up as an effect of being a heathen. So sit back, relax, have some ale and enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. There is nothing wrong with being a solitary Heathen! Our Heathen ancestors were BORN into tightly knit social groups which shared beliefs and did many things together. Modern Heathens are for the most part, NOT born into such groups.

    Asatru Kindreds attempt to rectify this, but they are, in my opinion, often little more than exclusive "clubs" which screen members so as to be sure that only the "right" people get in. This is NOT the way of our ancestors, whose kindreds were made up of all KINDS of people, with varying personalities and dispositions. One kindred website that I came across says that people might not get membership, even if members like you!

    With kindred models such as this, Asatru will NEVER appeal to as many as it could. Midgard was never perfect, nor was the way of our ancestors easy. Seeking pain free "kinship" while seeking unity with Gods who themselves did not always get along, is absurd. Be a solitary! If you meet like minded travelers, walk with them, but walk with the Gods first. They are "kin" too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your situation is identical to mine and after reading your post I have even more courage to walk the solitary path. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool blog. I think there is always pressure from others in any 'religion' to be part of the group. I too prefer my solitude when it comes to my spiritual practice.

    It's no different in Christianity. If one would prefer to sit at home and read their Bible on Sundays instead of going to church, they get accused of not wanting 'fellowship' or being an ineffective 'lone wolf' Christian.

    Not sure if you still post as this blog is a few years old, but wish you the best in your journey.

    The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.
    - Aldous Huxley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm solitary myself and I've read the posts, saying that you can't be a solitary heathen. It's the same with Wicca. Wiccans in a coven will say that you have to be apart of a coven to be a Wiccan. Same line, different group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in Bakersfield and am interested in the heathen religion. I've recently had a strange connections with crows and in searching for meaning it has kind of lead me towards odinism/ asatr . Couldn't find any groups in Bakersfield to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the situation where I am Heathen and my family members are Christian who all accept my Heathen path. There are no known Heather groups around where I live, so being a solitary is what it is.

    ReplyDelete