Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Initiation Ritual

I figured I would start my first serious post with how I dedicated myself to the Aesir and Vanir, I was at work, so I had to make it as non suspicious as possible, and as a matter of fact, it was easier to do at work than it would have been at home,

Step One: I decided that if I was going to dedicate myself to the gods of the North, then I needed to say my goodbyes to any other deity that might still be lingering in my life, I did an inventory of myself and decided that Hashem (Jewish God) was still connected to me in some way, So I said a quick prayer aloud to him, thanking him for his time and patience with me and assuring him that my family still worshipped him and I was sure to send some prayers his way on there behalf, but I could no longer worship him. Honestly, I think I left on good terms.

Step Two: I gathered all the materials I thought I might need, I have a small sledge hammer at work that I have dedicated to Thor and so I used that, I got some matches and I wrote out an oath to the Gods, I made sure to write it by hand as that seemed more appropriate than printing it out, it was a simple oath dedicating myself to the Aesir and Vanir and forsaking all other Gods and Goddesses (Hence step one.) I also use coffee as my blot libations, so I got a fresh cup of coffee and a goblet from the kitchen (I work at a hotel) I decided that my ritual would have to be in two steps, first I would do the oath and dedication itself on the roof, then I would finish it with a blot and the burnt ashes of my oath at a tree where I normally honor the Gods at work.

Step Three: I went to the roof top, and hailed all the Gods, Goddesses, Land Wights, House Wights, and my ancestors, then I read the oath aloud, at the end I burned the oath and took the ashes in a cup, I threw some ashes in the air, I had already passes it through fire, I put some in a puddle to represent water and I took the rest downstairs to the tree with the coffee in a goblet for part two.

Step Four: I buried the rest of the ashes in the earth at the foot of the tree and thanked the gods, goddesses, wights, ancestors for being a part of my ritual, then I poured the coffee libation over the buried ashes.

This was a very simple ritual, and although I am sure it wasn't the "orthodox" way of doing it, but I felt like the Gods where their, particularly Freyja, I won't go into specifics, but, she was the last of the Goddesses I expected to be there. Mostly because my personality is nothing like hers and yet, from that day on, she has constantly shown herself in my life, more so than any othe other Aesir or Vanir.

So I hope this post inspired some other solitary to do likewise, as you can see it isn't a difficult thing to do and doesn't need all the pomp and circumstance that some would have you believe is needed, all you need is a soul that is dedicated to the Gods and a little creativity. Next time, I will write on my every day blots to the Gods, Land, and House Wights.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds simple enough. What time of year, moon/sun cycle, time of day, etc did you do this on? I try to plan according to such things

    ReplyDelete